In 2016, the Sylvania Historical Village took over management of the Lathrop House located in Harroun Park on Main Street just south of the Historical Village property.  The Lathrop House was the 19th Century home of Lucian and his second wife Larissa who moved to Sylvania in 1848. Lucian along with neighbor David Harroun worked together as part of the Underground Railroad.  David would bring fugitive slaves in a false bottomed wagon from nearby Maumee to Sylvania as part of their escape to freedom in Canada.  The slaves would stay either at the Harroun home or barn or in a secret room behind the kitchen fireplace in the Lathrop House.  It was during a 1939 remodel that the owners uncovered the secret room.

Today the lower level of the home is open to guests on Sundays April through October from 12:00 - 4:00 PM or by appointment.  Guests can learn more about the important role Ohio played in the Underground Railroad and see the secret hiding room of the Lathrop House.  Each August, the Friends of the Lathrop House present a special Celebration of Freedom featuring reenactors, live music and special tours.lathrop01p Main Street