Enjoying Your Visit to Our Area
The Sylvania area is a first class destination for recreation, nature, history, and events. Fine dining, outstanding services and delightful boutique shopping are abundant in downtown Sylvania. Plus, our area is loaded with history!
Visit other Historical Sites in Sylvania
Lathrop House: In the 1830s, Toledo merchant Elkanah Briggs came to Sylvania and purchased a parcel of land on Maumee Road (now S. Main Street) from Elijah Rice. Briggs built a home on the site in 1835. Lucian B. Lathrop purchased the home in 1847, and he and his family moved in shortly after. In the years following, the house became known as a stop on the underground railroad, helping escaping slaves find freedom in Canada. The partially restored home sits in Harroun Park on South Main Street and is open for tours Sundays, 1 - 4 or for group tours with reservations any time. Reservations can be made by calling 419-882-8653. Closed in December
Ravine Cemetery: Ravine Cemetery is located on Ravine Road, between Harroun Road and Main Street, in Sylvania. Ravine Cemetery was established in 1883, and it is still active. It acquired its name due to the large ravine that runs through the middle of the cemetery. The oldest section borders Saint Joseph's Catholic Cemetery. There are many old gravestones, and most are in terrific condition.
Harroun Barn: The Harroun Barn is located on the property of Flower Hospital on Harroun Road. The David and Clarissa Harroun family migrated to Sylvania in 1835 and built their home, and in 1858 the barn, on this site. Four generations of this Harroun family called this property home, from 1835-1938. While here, David, Clarissa, and their son Edwin became involved in aiding fugitive slaves across the Underground Railroad to freedom in Canada. David secretly transported the runaways from Maumee to Sylvania in his lumber wagons. The fugitives were covered in hay, and the wagons were driven at night to avoid detection. Once on Harroun's property, they were hidden in the attic of the home or the hayloft of the barn. The Lathrop family, who lived on a farm to the west, helped the Harrouns by hiding fugitives in the basement of their home. From Sylvania, the runaways were taken to Bedford, Petersburg, or Monroe in Michigan where they were then transported toward Detroit for their crossing into Canada.
Association Cemetery: Association Cemetery is located at 6805 Convent Boulevard in Sylvania. If the gravestones in this Township Association Cemetery could talk, they probably would have a lot to say. The history here spans important historical events, from the 1830s to the Civil War to modern day. Sylvania founding father William Wilson is buried there along with a monument to David White.